News: Server consolidation and migration to Canada

Server consolidation and migration to Canada
kveroneau(Game Creator)
May 26, 2018, 5:21 p.m.

I know it has been awhile since I posted any news or any developments for Hacker's Edge, and I apologize for that. I have been working on some updates, but they have been taking a bit longer than I expected.

Hacker's Edge is currently spread between two separate servers. One server runs this website, the MySQL database, and contains the host data. The other server is where the game engine runs. This will soon be consolidated into a single server and migrated to a new server in a Toronto data center. Soon after this update, the host data will be migrated over to a Redis server, along with the character data. This will allow character deletions, and updates to be better performed through the website by players. Host data will also be much quicker to access and more reliable as a result.

The migration will require a bit of downtime for both the website and the game server to be performed, as the database and player files cannot be altered during the migration process. Once the data is properly migrated and everything is running, the DNS will be updated to the new server, and once your DNS providers obtains the new DNS records, both the website and game server will once again be accessible to you. I do not expect the downtime to be any longer than 1 hour. A system message will be posted prior to the migration time, both on the website, in the message of the day, and on the discord server.

This migration is necessary as the version of Linux which is being used on one of the servers is long past it's support life time and no longer receiving any security updates. I may perform the migration in phases, where I first migrate the back-end game engine, then later on migrate the website. I am still deciding on this, as this will result in much less downtime.