Development Diary: A week of development

A week of development
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Feb. 16, 2018, 3:55 p.m.

I am taking a full week off of my full-time job to focus and put effort into flushing out the Hacker's Edge experience. Since open beta went live there has been a total of 204 successful sign-ups, these are players who have successfully verified their email address and are definitely real people. The unfortunate bit of this, is that when they do enter the game world, there isn't really much to do in terms of gameplay unfortunately. The world is still being built, and that takes a lot of time and effort to do. World building in itself is a rather time consuming task, as it requires consistency, lore, non-player characters, and an overall story to go with it. With these, the player will not feel immersed in the game world itself, and most likely leave.

Full-time jobs tend to consume you, and leave no room for side projects or ventures. While I am not prepared to leave my full-time job just yet, as Hacker's Edge will not be-able to support me financially, I try to put in time here and there after work and on my weekend when I feel able and don't feel overly exhausted from my full-time job. As mentioned in the title of this post, I will be taking a full week to put effort into updating Hacker's Edge and pushing it more forward with new features and gameplay elements.

For those who may not know, there is a Trello board I put up awhile back to track the overall progress and tasks related to Hacker's Edge development, you can find it here: https://trello.com/b/kRg76xta/hackers-edge-development

For those interested in following me throughout the week next week, I will be on the Hacker's Edge discord server: https://discord.gg/MZzmEtz

I may also be available in-game from time-to-time after a deployment to test out the newly available features.

Development plan

• Improve the overall FTP Server stability for players
  • Enable access to cc65 toolkit from within the game
  • Continue work on HackerOS
  • Various bug fixes
  • Finish working on the in-game economy system
  • Begin development on the Agent Virtual Machine and API

While many of these may not get worked on or completed in the short time frame of a week, I am hoping to at least have a more playable game by the weeks end. After each day depending on if new features make it into production, I will be either posting to Development Diary or News at the end of my day to discuss what was done and how players can take advantage of the new development efforts.

With that, I will bring this development diary post to an end. Please look forward to many new and exciting features to come next week.