Development Diary: Networking, networking, networking!

Networking, networking, networking!
kveroneau(Game Creator)
July 24, 2017, 1:06 a.m.

After a lot of effort, planning, debugging, and troubleshooting... The first real in-game interhost networking is finally available! Before networking was hardcoded, and was very very primitive. Beta players demanded a fully functional network, where they can create in-game servers and client programs. After months of work, this is finally a reality!

I have been hard at work in developing and testing the networking code, and I am glad to say, that it is most definitely fitting of a closed beta. It might still be buggy, but at least two in-game hosts can finally have a long due conversation with each other.

There is still much work to be done in terms of supporting it in-game, as there are currently no in-game programs or tools that currently make use of it. I have provided the current mission designers with sample 65c02 assemble code to get them started on their way to the Internet superhighway!

Furthermore, I took the liberty of syncing my main development trunk in my private subversion to the Open Source BitBucket repository. You can freely view the commit here:

Hopefully now I can focus more effort on getting the in-game OS, and initial servers up and running and get this game into open beta eventually.