Closed Beta Discussion: Game Server crashes

Last Page >>
Game Server crashes
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Aug. 15, 2016, 10:38 p.m.

The game server doesn't crash too often thankfully. I am still trying to pinpoint why it is crashing from time to time by examining the log files. The Game Server also doesn't just die, the process is actually hung. I suspect the issue might be something to do with a Lock in the main thread somewhere, which then locks down the entire process, as the lock isn't being properly released.

I am still investigating the issue, and if anyone has any information on why it might be crashing out like this, please let me know. I will continue to research and add more debugging code into the engine to figure this out.

When the server is hung because of this issue, you will notice that if you connect through the web or telnet, that the connection to the server hangs with no messages whatsoever. The server also doesn't disconnect you, which means that the server is unable to accept the incoming socket connection.

So far by reading the logs, it doesn't appear to be anything to do with the VM code, the VM runs in it's own separate thread, but locks are used for cross-thread communication. However, all the locks I am using, release afterwards. During the latest crash, I did not see any recent VM code being run, so that also rules it out.

Game Server crashes
bauen1(Game Moderator)
Aug. 16, 2016, 7:40 a.m.

The last crash i got disconnected ( with idle mode so not clean disconnect) which brings me to thinking that the disconnect may not be properly cleaning up (also the player stays connected for 30 more minutes or so)

Game Server crashes
Missingno50
Oct. 13, 2016, 3:30 a.m.

The most recent crash appears to happen when something overloads. Perhaps checking RAM could help, as well as making sure that the code properly cleans up when it disconnects.

Game Server crashes
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Oct. 13, 2016, 3:37 a.m.

Hey Missingno50, I checked the server logs and I noticed the server banned you. :) It's still up and running. Here's part of the log file:

2016-10-13 03:25:27,331 - Telnet - INFO - Connection from: 23.116.69.216
2016-10-13 03:25:31,411 - Telnet - INFO - Connection from: 23.116.69.216
2016-10-13 03:25:31,540 - HackersEdge - CRITICAL - Blocking potential HTTP bot: 23.116.69.216
2016-10-13 03:25:31,541 - Sessions - INFO - [23.116.69.216] Banning session: 1476329127.33

I seems you attempted to do an HTTP connect to the Telnet server. I added this, as some search engine crawlers try to connect to the telnet port and send a GET /, and this got really annoying in the log files, so I implemented code to ban such connections.

At the moment, the only way to purge the ban list is to restart the server. In the next update I may add a command to remove specific IP addresses from the list.

Game Server crashes
Missingno50
Oct. 13, 2016, 3:40 a.m.

OH. Well that's a bit awkward.

But that was weird. Is there an exclusion list to prevent that from happening? The only bots that'll be running are bots designed to format a bunch of floppy disks... At a mere kilobyte per second because Sony's HiFD was not the most reliable out there.

Game Server crashes
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Oct. 13, 2016, 3:45 a.m.

Just don't do an HTTP to port 1337 and you'll be fine. :) The game used to ban when a username/password was incorrectly entered 3 times, but as most people try using their website username/password on the login, it got a bit annoying.

If you want to use port 1337, use a Telnet client, if you use Linux, Windows, or OS X, you should be able to use the following command at a Command prompt: telnet hackers-edge.com 1337. On recent versions of Windows however, Microsoft no longer installs the Telnet client by default. :( So you'll need to do a quick google search to get instructions on how to install it from the Windows Add/Remove programs.

Game Server crashes
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Oct. 13, 2016, 3:49 a.m.

Whoops! I completely forgot that I enabled maintenance mode after restarting the server. I logged in and disabled it, you should be able to connect again now. Sorry about that. I'll add the ability to unblock IPs tonight so that I don't have to restart the entire server to purge the block list.

Game Server crashes
bauen1(Game Moderator)
Oct. 13, 2016, 5:16 a.m.

Just saying server is still down (lets you connect but not login)

Game Server crashes
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Oct. 13, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

This time it was crashed as it hung instead of giving a login prompt. I believe I triggered it by using the +stats command, so something broke recently with that command. Tonight I'll take a look on my development server to see if I can determine why and fix it. For now, use +stats at your own risk.

Game Server crashes
bauen1(Game Moderator)
Oct. 13, 2016, 3:26 p.m.

Server crashed again or i got banned for trying to social engineer someone :P

1 2 3 >>
Page 1 of 3.