Help: System.break() players

System.break() players
Alphadon
Aug. 15, 2016, 2:50 p.m.

Dear kveroneau, Some players from the System.Break() community have expressed interest in the game! Please distribute beta codes to them. I think it'll help us out a lot.

System.break() players
Zuris
Aug. 15, 2016, 2:52 p.m.

Hello. I am one of the System.Break(); developers and would like a beta code for this game.

Thanks, -Zuris

System.break() players
lollipopG
Aug. 15, 2016, 2:56 p.m.

Hey, another dev from System.Break(); and I'd like join the beta as well.

-pop

System.break() players
kveroneau(Game Creator)
Aug. 15, 2016, 4:36 p.m.

Welcome System.Break() players and devs. I highly recommend reading the Game Guide, News section of the forums, and of course the Development Diary. Development is currently done either if I have a day off of work, and during evenings after work. Unfortunately as of late, my weekends are almost entirely taken. :( I am usually available in the in-game chat when I am developing, and many of the beta players use this period as a Q&A, which also gives me future ideas of what I should implement into the game engine.

Currently the game is entirely server-run, players can either connect using a VT100 web-client, or a Telnet client of their choice. A native client might be developed in the future to further extend the functionality of the game. Some Telnet clients don't work as well as others, however a list of working ones is on the forums.

The game has undergone a few rewrites in the past, the initial version was a web-based UI, which I was modeling a bit after the popular game Uplink. This was soon trashed as I began to run into issues around missions and real-time control. This initial version was very primitive in comparison to the next two rewrites. The first rewrite was a console-based design, and used the standard telnetd daemons on Linux to control the TTY and Python-based programs. Basically, each player had their own Linux UID, and their shell was confined to the one I wrote for the game. The obvious issues with this version was that it would have issues scaling up to hundreds of players. As each logged-in player quite literally took 20-30MB of RAM. In order to scale this, I would have needed to upgrade the server and the costs of running such as a game would be too much.

Which leads us to the current version, most of the code and concepts from the last version have made it through to this version. The new version is now almost identical(minus the ncurses editors), and the new version has far more many features and is much more mature.

I come from a background in Computer Science, and currently work for an online payment processing company developing in-house software for them. I have numerous open source projects on BitBucket.org/kveroneau one of which includes a custom assembler and Virtual Machine I built and used within the last version of this game. I personally enjoy the low-level workings of computers and processors, which gave me the inspiration to write a 6502 assembler and VM for Hacker's Edge. This is an extremely popular microprocessor, even today. There is an entire forum dedicated to it, and it's used by some indies for custom NES and Atari games. It seemed like the perfect match for Hacker's Edge, and a way to attract potential players.

Once you have beta access, you will be-able to generate these codes yourself and give them out if you wish as well.

Code 1: TRTTV Code 2: Y4ILN

These are one time use codes. If both codes for some reason are taken before you can get to them, let me know, and I will enable the accounts directly for the beta.

System.break() players
Jefferson
March 28, 2017, 11:18 p.m.

This all seems really interesting, One of the Sys.Break designers here, and I love the fact you've taken Uplink as inspiration of sorts. Hope this all works out well, and I hope to see this project develop and evolve as time goes by.